Circular Labs Forums  

Go Back   Circular Labs Forums > Mobius Discussion > Scripting

Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 PM

Default Switch Loop Record getting all screwy

Hey everyone, I've been trying to find an answer for this, but I'm new to Mobius scripting and am trying to do something that I can't seem to get right.

Basically I want to hit record (loop quantized with ableton), then hit next loop and auto-record the 2nd phrase without pausing (this is working).

But then when I try and stop recording by either hitting the record button again (see code below) or hitting previousLoop it doesn't stop recording and it says "RecordStop" and Play underneath it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why that's happening or get it to do what I want. I'd love it so that I could click back to loop 1 and automatically go into play.

I got this from this forum for the record/play/overdub button:
Code:
!name Rec/Play/Overdub
!autoload
!sustain 500

if mode == reset
	Record
else
	if mode == mute
		Reset
		Record
	else
		if mode == play
			Overdub
		else
			if mode == multiply
				Play
			else	
				if mode != reset
					Play
				endif
			endif
		endif
	endif
endif
end

Label sustain
if sustainCount = 1
    Reset
endif
end
Old 02-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbowick View Post
....(loop quantized with ableton),.....
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. The various quantize modes have settings of off, subcycle, cycle, loop, whereas synchronization can be track, midi, or host etc, which is what you seem to be talking about.

Quote:
But then when I try..... it doesn't stop recording and it says "RecordStop" and Play underneath it.
This implies that you have some quantize going on here, possibly 'switch quantize'. What the message shows is that mobius has received the 'stop recording' command, and is waiting for the end of the loop (assuming quantize is set to loop) to execute 'stop recording' and 'play'. See http://www.circularlabs.com/doc/v2/s...m#Quantizationfor further guidance.

NB: A brief outline of your setup (OS, host/vst, hardware etc) is always helpful, if not essential, in tracking down these problems, especially if it turns out to be a 32/64 bit issue!

hth
Dave
Old 02-06-2016, 08:51 AM

I'm not sitting at my machine right now but surely this can be achieved without any scripting;

Ensure that 'empty loop action' is set to either 'record' , 'copy sound' or 'copy timing' depending on your preference.

Record
Next loop
Previous loop

That's it.

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you need

Edit: Just checked, yep this simple procedure works fine.

http://stephenscott.bandcamp.com

Mobius 2.5
Plogue Bidule
Asus eee PC Netbook (honestly!)
M-Audio M Track
Korg Nanokontrol 1
Korg Nanopad 1

Last edited by stevoj; 02-06-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Warming up this thread:

I tried exactly this (using scripting as well with buttons):

Record
Next Loop
Previous Loop

It did not work. I use the AU version of Mobius with Mainstage 3 (wrapped via 32 Lives) in host sync mode. The Record command as well as the Next Loop work as expected, but Previous Loop does not execute...

Any idea? Maybe I got the settings wrong?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Works for me. But why would you want to go 'next loop' before you've set the end of the recording loop (by overdub/play etc)?

I ask this because going record - next track - previous track, does not work as expected; the next traack doesn't create a loop, even though the default behaviour is set to copy timing.

Mind you, my setup is with mobius vst (in bidule).

Dave
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Mhh, I'm not sure, we are on the same page... My goal is to do the following:

1. record verse melody (16 bars) on loop 1 of track 5
2. immediately record the refrain melody (8 bars) on loop 2 of track 5
3. play loop 1 (second verse)
4. play and overdub loop 2

All other tracks I use are host synced (to bar), track 5 is track-synced (to subcycle), so I can start the recording on count 4. I use switch-quantize.

It works perfectly when I have a playback cycle between the recordings (Record -> Record (to change to play mode) -> Next Loop -> Insert (to change to play mode) -> Previous Loop), but that's not what I want, because it makes no sense musically...

When I just hit (Record -> Next loop -> previous loop) I get this never "RecordStop" problem the original author of this thread mentioned when I hit Previous Loop...
Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't given up on you, but no, I don't think I'm quite on the same page!

The messages ("RecordStop, Play") indicate the commands are being stacked waiting for a quantize point (bar, loop, etc) or for a confirmation, if you're in 'confirm' mode. If these actions are not executed at the end of the quantize period (& you're not in confirm mode), then you should be looking for switch quantize modes, quantize settings, and maybe sync settings for clues. Sorry I can't help more.

Dave
Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 PM

Ran into this issue again today and finally solved it. I wrote the following test script that didn't do what I wanted it to do at first, but behaved strangely instead. It actually was a feature that I didn't understand at first. The script worked after I set "record transfer" in the Presets->Switch tab to "off" (in track sync as well as in host sync).

Code:
!name Test Makro

!autoload

variable global arrangement 0

message $arrangement

!autoload

for 1
	if arrangement == 0
		record
		set arrangement arrangement + 1
	else if arrangement == 1
		record
		NextLoop
	else if arrangement == 2
		PrevLoop
	else if arrangement == 3
		NextLoop
		set arrangement arrangement - 1
	endif
next
Maybe I use it wrong, but although the record transfer mode seems to be implemented for exactly the feature I was looking for (to play different parts of a song in a row and recording them on different loops), Mobius doesn't seem to be able to stop the recording after switching to another loop. With "Record transfer" turned off I can simply use Copy Timing as "empty loop action" and "insert" as "time copy mode" with immediate loop switch recording.