Circular Labs Forums  

Go Back   Circular Labs Forums > Mobius Discussion > Plugin Hosts

Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Default Mainstage Mobius and MacBook Air

Just thought some of you may be interested to know I have been trying to run Mobius inside Mainstage on a new MacBook Air and it's mighty unstable. I have been running the same setup on a 2009 MacBook Pro / Snow Leopard with intermittent glitches (128 buffer with I/O protection on) - but just usable enough for live use...

Exact same setup on a supposedly more powerful MacBook Air (i5, 4 gig ram) running Lion and it glitches every couple of minutes, and the loops start to fall out of sync with one another. I also notice that the tempo reported by Mainstage (sent from Mobius via IAC Bus) keeps jumping around... very odd?

Graphics such as the Mobius PacMans are also very glitchy - suggesting the lack of dedicated graphics chipset may be part of the problem.

This issue may be more to do with Mainstage than Mobius of course... but any suggestions on trying to get this system to work would be most welcome...

Stephen
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 AM

FWIW i had no issues with mobius and mainstage on a MBP 2011 running snow leopard...

maybe its lion?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 AM

I am fairly stable on a MacBook 2.4GHz with 4 Gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Mobius, and MainStage (also 128 buffer with safety). Its taken a lot of troubleshooting and I still get audio drop-out from CPU spikes on occasion (see other recent General forum notes for details). MainStage has always been a walking-on-eggshells application for live without-a-net performance use (although I believe its worth the effort to get it running smoothly).

With new stuff (e.g. Mac Air and Lion) added to the mix, buyer beware. Keep a close eye on Activity Monitor and Console log (assuming Lion still has such stuff) to see if you can find anything amiss. Its very odd that loops would be losing sync, though ... it does sound like it could be a Lion thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies...

Like you, I think Mainstage is a little flaky with random CPU spikes. There is a also a thread on the apple support site suggesting problems with the graphics engine on the latest MacBook Pros (it auto switches in and out) causing sound glitches - I think the lack of dedicated graphics chipset in the MacBook Air may be a source of problems here. Even so, it surprises me the machine seems to unable to cope?

Not sure how to use Activity Monitor - I tried running it, and certainly there are CPU spikes appearing on the little green readout, although the CPU usage seems to be reporting over 100 percent almost constantly? Not sure how to interpret that... I'll try running Console too and see if that sheds any light...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies...

Like you, I think Mainstage is a little flaky with random CPU spikes. There is a also a thread on the apple support site suggesting problems with the graphics engine on the latest MacBook Pros (it auto switches in and out) causing sound glitches - I think the lack of dedicated graphics chipset in the MacBook Air may be a source of problems here. Even so, it surprises me the machine seems to unable to cope?

Not sure how to use Activity Monitor - I tried running it, and certainly there are CPU spikes appearing on the little green readout, although the CPU usage seems to be reporting over 100 percent almost constantly? Not sure how to interpret that... I'll try running Console too and see if that sheds any light...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM

i gave up with mainstage, it's such a cpu hog. if your activity monitor is showing over 100%, then that would explain all the problems you've been having. try running mobius standalone and i think you'll find it'll be smooth as silk.
i went with bidule for a while as my host, but got fed up with the ugly UI, so i've finally settled on ableton live and everything has been running smoothly. very stable, very kind on cpu and each mobius track can have it's own track inside the live mixer, which makes control and processing very easy. worth a try, if you get the chance and definitely ditch mainstage until apple fixes it.

sim
Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Some tips on using Activity Monitor, maybe useful for you. Console is good for seeing what program calls were made at the instant a crash or problem occurs. Use them together to try to suss things out.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/activitymonitor.html
Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Many thanks for the hints and tips gents! I'll investigate further and post back FYI when I have some more ideas where the problem lies.

Simeon - thanks for the heads up on ableton - think I'll give it a try... seems Mainstage is simply too flaky for serious work & I suspect it will cease to exist anyway when Apple finally bring out Logic X - assuming it follows the path set out with Final Cut X which saw all the supporting apps discontinued...

Even so, odd that Activity monitor reports that Mainstage uses over 100 percent even when idle! (I'm using it to host NI Guitar Rig & Mobius).

Thanks again for your help & suggestions!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM

To follow up for those that are interested... (this is a slight double post with info on the General thread - anything more I will keep to this thread)

Console revealed MacMidiTimer giving constant interrupt overflow messages - several every few seconds. The tempo value sent from Mobius also seems to fluctuate - even though there is only one loop running? This seems odd...

Mainstage consumes over 150 percent CPU with one loop - and raising the buffer makes no difference.

The hunt for a cure goes on (and may take some time... I fear)

Stephen
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Kemp View Post
Mainstage consumes over 150 percent CPU with one loop - and raising the buffer makes no difference.
something is very, very wrong here.

what sort of cpu level does mobius run at when it's standalone?